++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Phil 206Y...dun dun duhhhh


Horrors upon horrors. I think this may possibly be the worst professor I have ever had. The subject is Philosophy of Religion...sounds cool, right? Wrong! Not only is the professor boring, he makes no sense whatsoever...and his voice kind of creeps me out. (That doesn't sound like a big deal but since this is an online class with audio lectures, that's difficult to ignore) His powerpoint slides that go along his lectures don't even make sense. Here's an example of ONE of his slides (from his second lecture, mind you)...yes this was all on ONE powerpoint slide. (And don't say a word NICK, because I'm sure you'll think this makes perfect sense...and probably would even say that it's interesting):) Don't worry, I don't expect any of the rest of you to actually read this...

Three major types of contemporary Philosophy of Religion
•1. Analytic:it uses the mainstream contemporary methods of logical analysis to shore up the main classical arguments for God’s existence. Most analysts tend to work from the Christian-Protestant or reformed background (viz. so-called branch of “reformed epistemology”), and some have been associated in the U.S. with the “Society of Christian Philosophers,”which aspires to promote religious philosophy as a specifically Christian philosophy. There are exceptions to this observation: because of the historical context of emergence, some analytic philosophers of religion return to classical pre-modern debates about God to argue a distinctly atheistic position that emerged in the 19th century and continues in our time. So even though historical context does not play any intrinsic role in the analytical arguments about God or religion, such context is all along imported as a presupposition in that today we think beyond the classical philosophical theology. The very nature of certain analytical approaches emerges against the horizon of the prior claims about“the death of God.”Alvin Plantingaor Purdue’s William Rowe are examples of prominent scholars in this type of philosophy of religion.

I'm trying not to blame it on his being foreign because that seems rather stereotypical/prejudiced. We'll just say he's the professory-type, not the teachy-type. Jenny, may this be a lesson to you on how NOT to teach.:)

Anyway, I'm trying to decide whether or not I should keep or drop the class. Keeping it would mean that my last semester this fall will be very nice and easy, with only 4 classes. Dropping it would mean taking 5 classes in the fall but ending the misery of this class and lessening the load for this semester...which would be good because I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I have 18 credit hours and am helping with some very time-consuming research.

I'd like to be ambitious and get a class out of the way but it's not seeming worth it. I'm torn so please help me out by voting on my poll.:)

6 comments:

soccer pro said...

I am the first to comment yes!!!
Ok back to the serious topic at hand. I really am afraid to vote because i don't know if the class is important or not. If it is i would say to keep it but if not drop it:) that is my wise advice so helpful. So I will vote on pure selfishness alone and if you have less classes then you have more time to hang out with us:)hehehehe so dont take mine to serious!!
thanks so much for checking my history paper i bet i will do soooo good know!!:)
LOVE ~kuRt~

soccer pro said...

Oh one more thing i also can not stand his voice and i have only listened to him for about 30 sec. It drives me crazy!!:) so their is good reason to drop it kind of!:)

Anonymous said...

Ash-it does not seem worth it to keep this time around. -J

Nick said...

[not saying anything...]

Bry&Ash said...

Let me guess Nick, you voted to keep it didn't you...:) You would. Hey, if you liked the sample slide, you can pretend to be me and take the class. I could give you my passwords and you can do all my stuff online in your spare time.

By the way, I liked your comment...though I really didn't mean that literally.:)

Nick said...

Argh, you found me out. And here I thought the poll would be anonymous.

Ah well...you could think about it this way. If Bryan could keep up with my "lectures" to him on these topics (one of the first books I bought after converting was by Alvin Plantinga, one of the men listed in your slide, even though I certainly won't admit to understanding much of what he wrote) for all these years, you could probably deal with it for a semester.

But if you do decide to drop, I won't hold it against ya. Existentialists talk funny.