++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Be My Scottish Valentine

So for Valentine's Day this year, we went to Scotland.
OK, I lied.
But we did go to a Scottish pub downtown. Instead of the traditional upscale Valentine's date, I was more in the mood for a walk on Mass Ave and finding a dim little place with wood floors and no reservations. We found it. And it was the perfect low-key Valentine's outing.
Bry let me peek into a few of the shops along the way and I also found a new prayer journal for myself and a Madeline match-the-tiles-from-memory game from Mass Ave Toys (the cutest little toy shop ever) for Poppy. She won't be able to play with it for about two more years, a practical fact that Bryan brought up, but I just couldn't say no to Madeline, the little French orphan that I grew up on.
Scottish food is interesting. Bryan ordered the Angus burger. It's marinated in Worcestershire sauce, peppered, and then rolled flat.
To eat it takes a two-step folding process.

I had the vegetarian haggis with neeps (parsnips). Not the most aesthetically pleasing dish. Come to think of it, the name isn't very appealing either. But it was good. I really like mashed parsnips. It would have been fun to experience the authentic non-vegetarian version, but lamb hearts and liver are a little intense for me.
It was so good to be together, just the two of us. I hope all of you had a LOVE-ly day as well!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

ash
we were downtown too :) it's okay to pretend that you really went to scotland! ha
we ate at sushi on the rocks...pretty tasty and they had live music.

Ashton said...

I love sushi! We'll have to try it. Glad you guys were able to get out.

Alesa said...

glad you guys had a good time!