++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Weird Neighbors

OK, so Bryan and I are actually the weird neighbors on the block. Take yesterday for example. Bryan was trying to mow our very overgrown and weedy lawn with a reel mower. Maybe you've seen one...they're those old, vintage looking things that your grandparents probably had laying around and getting rusty in their garage. Well, they still make them and ours is new and quite svelte.:) It runs without gas or oil, is noiseless and provides a pretty decent workout to boot. Even so, Bryan did look a little ridiculous out there. What makes it even worse is that our house is on a busy road, right next to a stop light. Meaning that no one has anything better to do than watch us while they wait for their light to turn green. Poor Bryan said he could feel the eyes on him as he hacked away at our hay field by hand.

But compared to what I was doing yesterday, Bryan looked pretty normal. The deal is that we have these two little evergreen trees in front of our house in pots, and of course they died and turned a bright orange color a few months after we bought them. Because I hate to spend money, I decided to get creative. Hence the reason I was standing in front of our house yesterday, spray painting our trees green (hoping that this time they would actually stay "ever green"). Yes, it felt awkward. And yes people were laughing at me. A guy in a fire truck actually leaned out and yelled, "are you painting those?" I smiled, nodded and gave him a thumbs up. It was pretty funny. He honked back at me and I'm sure it was because he thought it was such a cool idea.:)

So yeah, we usually provide some good neighborhood entertainment. It's fun for now, but I think I'll be ready to move to a less conspicuous location next time around.:)

7 comments:

Annette Bahler said...

o.k. that's just funny

where did you get that spray paint idea :)

love you,
mom

Alesa said...

i agree... that's just funny! loved it.

J Gutwein said...

You know I have done this.. it is probably time to paint the poor tree again, but it has lasted for quite some time :). Love, J

L, Ann and boys said...

I feel so left out...I'll let you all know when I take the plunge and re-green something around here. =o)

Ash, you so had me laughing.

Ann

Christen Leigh said...

Oh my word, Ash! I can just see it now. I bet a bird even pooped on you, to boot. Oh wait.... that ony happens to Kaitlin. :)

ANDDDD I love that you used the word svelte!! Until I looked it up with some friends last semester, they accused me of making it up! Imagine.... would I really be able to come up with a word that amazing? I think not.... :)

megs said...

maybe you shuld just you fingernail clippers instead of that goofy mower thingy. javon told me that you guys got one. i like the fireman talking to you about spray painting your tree. good stuff!

Daish said...

Ashton, that is so funny! How creative!