++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++

Monday, April 14, 2008

Ballet and a sore throat


Today was a momentous day. I gave my last speech in COM 314 for the semester! Though it was supposed to be a happy day and my chance to show my professor "all that I've learned this semester", it was actually a sad disappointment. It all started Saturday night when I felt the beginnings of a sore throat. That usually means I'll soon be getting very sick if my body doesn't find a way to ward it off. Sadly enough, it continued all day yesterday and by the evening was accompanied by a lovely little ache in my head.


So, instead of bouncing out of bed and going through my day with my customary exuberance and fast-thinking alertness (I'm being a bit sarcastic here), I felt rather more like a giant bowl of oatmeal...not good...especially when you're under-prepared to give a 9-minute persuasive speech worth 1/3 of your grade. I found out that oatmeal doesn't think too well on its feet and has a much harder time finding the right words than does the average human.


Due to the fact that I lacked the brainpower to effectively shorten it while I was talking, the speech actually ended up being 9 minutes and 22 seconds. Who knew I could talk that long? Especially about why these "parents" (imaginary situation) should enroll their children in ballet class. The one plus was that I got to wear my ballet clothes again...which I've missed so much since I've stopped taking classes.:)


Oh well, this kind of thing is good for me...and for all those of us out there who can tend to lean a little bit too much toward the perfectionist way of thinking, if they're not careful. And thankfully for all of us, life is about much more than attaining perfection.:)

5 comments:

Julie B. said...

Aw, hope you're feeling better soon, Ash! You're speech topic sounds interesting:)

lukecschafer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bry&Ash said...

Thanks Julie, I appreciate that.:) This was really just a sympathy post...but since I'm nowhere near as sick as it sounds like Easton was, I really shouldn't be complaining. I hope everyone is healthy around there by now.
-Ash

Anonymous said...

Ash,

I did not know you were sick. You should have told me :). I received an email from the realtor stating that the house was too small (shocking). Thanks a bunch!! Love, J

L, Ann and boys said...

Ash, thanks for the soup supper...she can cook, show houses, and do speeches with oatmeal brain...impressive. =o)

Ann