++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Snapshots of Italia

I was lucky enough to spend almost all of July in the most incredible country in the world. Italy! I went to Rome and Tuscany for school and after that finished up, Bry and his family joined me for a couple more weeks of lugging our suitcases around pretty much everywhere.

We may have overdone it a little, but it was without a doubt the trip of a lifetime. I miss it and I want to go back...tomorrow.

I brought my bulky camera and took over a thousand pictures (literally), so I wasn't sure how to tackle this post. I decided to pick out twenty of my most favorite photos. That didn't work. So here are twenty-six, in no particular order...
-Evening music on San Marco Square in Venice-
-The obligatory gondola picture-
-Pizza, pizza, and more mouthwatering pizza (this one has squash blossoms)-
-The famous Trevi Fountain. They say if you toss a coin over you're shoulder, you'll come back to Rome. I made sure to throw in a coin-
-Hiking around Procida Island-
-Corricella Harbor on Procida, one of the most beautiful evenings of my life-
-Poppy saying "ooh," her new favorite sound, while waiting for our ferry-
-The La Casa Sul Mare hotel on Procida...our room had a fairly decent view-
-City streets in Siena-
-Procida Island. I was in love-
-A sleepy little girl in Tuscany-
-Families take trips together for moments like these-
-Dear Tuscany, how I miss you-
-Piazzale Michelangelo, overlooking beautiful Florence-
-I love carousels. Especially in Florence-
-Bagno Vignoni: an incredible hot spring mineral pool in Tuscany where I caught this delightfully vintage expression from Poppy-
-The canals of Venice...magical after dark-
-Journaling for class in my favorite little place in the woods-
-The massive oak tree and the well outside our house, Il Leccio, on the farm in Tuscany-
-A tribute to the best espresso I've ever had-
-The Vatican-
-Cooking class in Tuscany at Spannocchia, the farm where I stayed for school-
-The Campo in Siena (very darling town) where the famous Palio horse race took place a few days before-
-Pasta and wine: two things that Italy does very, very well-
-In a cathedral in Rome-
-The Coliseum in the morning...not much needs to be said about this-

And just to prove that I actually did schoolwork while I was there...a picture of one of our classrooms:

10 comments:

L, Ann and boys said...

ooooo-la. thanks for the full slideshow the other night. I loved it.

Ann

J Gutwein said...

Oh, I am so STINKING JEALOUS!!!!!

J and A said...

loved the photos... thanks for sharing! I wouldn't have minded seeing a few more :)

sarah.flyingkites said...

BEAUTIFUL pictures! I LOVE the one of you and Bryan..it's a keeper!

What an awesome experience!

Shana said...

I love the picture of you and Bryan.... simply stunning Ashton! Miss you!

Alesa said...

love love love it!

Heather Hoerr said...

beautiful pics Ash - they really bring Italy to life! it was fun looking at them b/c I've been to most of the places... ah, memories :) makes me want to go back! you just let me know when you're ready to toss that coin over your shoulder and I'll be on my way to Rome with you :)

Liv & Brett said...

Looks incredible!!! So glad you had so much fun, and that poppy experienced some of it.

Liv

smw said...

i wish i would have known you had done this at chris' shower. i'd love to hear about it.

AMAZING pictures.

Laura said...

ohh, I WANT to be happy for you... :) seriously- looks amazing!