++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Mom of the Year Award...

...goes to me!
So it all started when I realized that it had been a very long time since I had given Poppy the Vitamin D drops that I'm supposed to give her every day. Being the responsible mother that I am, I decided that I should probably get around to that. I filled up the dropper and as Poppy was finishing it off I realized with a sinking feeling that I had just given her a whole dropper full of Tylenol, not Vitamin D.

I hate giving babies medicine under any circumstances, let alone when they aren't in the least bit sick and I've just given them about four times as much as they need. Therefore, I was starting to feel a little stressed. Thankfully before I got too sick about it, I remembered that my brother-in-law is an ER doctor and nervously dialed his number.

Meanwhile, it was getting closer and closer to the time when I was supposed to pick up Bryan at work to meet his parents. I was scurrying around trying to pack things up and load Poppy into the car seat while my brother-in-law was reassuring me that she would survive. (FYI: It takes 11 droppers of infant Tylenol for it to be lethal to a 12 lb baby)

I got outside before I realized that I had forgotten yet another thing in the house. I set Poppy down next to the car and rushed back in for just a second. Still on the phone, I hopped into the driver's seat and took off, noticing that Bryan was now popping up on call waiting, no doubt wondering where in the world I was.

Several minutes later I started noticing that Poppy was being unusually quiet in the back seat. Great, I thought to myself, she's probably passed out from her drug OD. I glanced back to check on her, and to my horror I saw that she was NOT IN THE CAR! Awesome.

I swerved across a few lanes of traffic and ended up awkwardly in the middle of the intersection with cars zooming around me. I waited an agonizingly long time for a green arrow to let me finish my U-turn and rescue my abandoned child. If I was lucky, I would get in a wreck first. I sped back as fast as I could and sure enough, there's Poppy in the driveway with big eyes, looking very small and helpless and a little confused about why she has been left out there by the road. (I think the Tylenol had sedated her enough to keep her from crying.)

Oh goodness...

11 comments:

Luke said...

This made me grin...
A lot. :-)

Ah the joys of new parenthood.

sarah.flyingkites said...

Oh my, that is really REALLY funny!!!

Panic!

Glad to hear the Tylenol stat...makes me feel better :)

Great honesty! Did you write that in Poppy's baby book? :)

J Gutwein said...

Haha.. welcome to parenthood ;).

Daveana said...

Oh Ashton! :)

Aubrey said...

Okay, I don't know you but have ventured to your blog foam Andria's (who I knew from young group days) and just had to comment. This story had me cracking up laughing (since everything turned out okay). As a mom of 3, I can totally relate. Thanks for the laugh on a stressful day.
Btw, my Wells is a week or two older than your Poppy. Congrats!

Christen Leigh said...

Oh my!! So funny! I am glad you discovered you had left little Poppy before you got much farther down the road....

Ashton said...

Sarah, good idea about writing the story down in a baby book. And Aubrey, I'm glad you stopped by our blog...I like the name Wells.:)

L, Ann and boys said...

Sweet Poppy, she probably had a a great time of peaceful refection while gazing up at the trees. =) Nothing like a six month old to make things stressful. ;)

An

Jessica Lauren said...

Wow -what a story!
If I'm ever a mom I'm sure I'll have a lot of stories like this lol And I doubt this mishap reflects your mommy abilities! Miss you!

Jessica B.

smw said...

isn't parenthood an adventure!! :)

Renae Lindberg said...

I'm so glad that you can laugh about it!!! We definitely have to laugh about the random things that happen with out kids!
I'm very sure she was just enjoying her time outdoors!!! Isn't being a mom crazy sometimes!!!
She's adorable Ash! Your mom gave me your cell... sometime when I'm home I'd love to get together and meet your 'angel' :O)