++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++

Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Bucket List

So for once, I actually had a couple of things to post about and had to choose between my options! That never happens. I don't think of my life as overly boring, so I'm not sure why this is. Maybe it's exciting but just not always bloggable.:) I think there is a difference.

But on to today's chosen post...

Bryan and I were able to cross something off of our "bucket list" last weekend. Just in case anyone isn't up on their hip lingo, the bucket list is a list of things you want to do before you die (aka before you kick the bucket).

So, last weekend we ran a half marathon. It sounded like a good challenge and a cool bonding thing to train for and do together. And it was. It was Bryan's first half marathon and he did awesome with the training and the race. Thankfully we were still able to finish together. He definitely kept my pace up which was tough but improved my time a lot, so in the end I'm grateful.

But if he does one of these again, he'll be more careful about drinking water. He didn't want to stop at the water stations and ended up getting dehydrated. It was actually pretty creepy. We were standing together after crossing the finish and suddenly I noticed that he started to look really weird and his eyes were kind of rolling back. He sat down and was fine so I didn't have to worry about trying to keep his head from hitting the pavement if he went down. That would not have been a fun way to end the race.

It was the Chicago Half Marathon, so the other great part of the weekend was hanging out in the city. Kait came with us and we had a wonderful time. We stayed in this beautiful historic hotel right across from Grant Park. That was my first time in Grant park and I had no idea how pretty Buckingham Fountain was. If you get the chance, you should walk through that area. Other then that there was of course a lot of shopping on Michigan Avenue, pasta (got to get your carbs the night before) and dashing around trying to get to our Metra train on time.

And this is a funny picture I stole off of the Chicago Half Marathon Web site. That first one has us in it too crossing the finish line. I'm the one with my arms up and Bryan is right beside me. Don't we look so victorious?:)

8 comments:

L, Ann and boys said...

SO victorious! =) I think bucket lists are so fun. Congrats on crossing this item off the list. Want to go snorkeling/scuba diving in the red sea with me since my first experience scuba diving was with you as well...and lets just say for mom's pun obsession, the trip was a real dive and needs repeating. HA =)

An

Alesa said...

That's awesome, Ash! Glad you guys could run together.

Nick said...

Congrats, guys! That's awesome.

Also, Luke Ann and..., I remember talking to a guy on a plane once who recommended the Gulf of Aqaba as the best place for scuba diving. Not sure if he's credible or not, but that was his recommendation.

L, Ann and boys said...

Golf of Aqaba...sounds impressive anyway. =) I may just google around on that Nick, thanks.

An

Nick said...

Ashton, so what else is on this bucket list of yours?

Andrea said...

yay! congrats you guys!! that's so awesome that you did it together.

Ashton said...

Thanks, guys, for the moral support.

And Nick, our Bucket List is pretty top secret...a lot of crazy stuff on there.:) (OK not really, but I can't remember many of the others. I guess it's time for a review.)

Nick said...

No worries. I'm trying to put together some goals for mine, but I'm just not creative enough to get any traction. Just looking for suggestions...